Dr. Robin’s Covid-19 Updates

Covid Lessons from our Loved Ones

Robin Schoenthaler, MD
5 min readAug 26, 2022

The accumulation of Covid 19 stories and science

Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash

Covid’s ferocity continues to decline. The combination of a) vaccines protecting us from serious disease, and b) so many people having had previous Covid exposure, is giving us a nice decline in all bad numbers:

— Gazillions of us have it on any one day, but very few of us are ending up in the hospital or dying.

— Hospitalizations are happening, but they’re not toppling hospital systems or cancelling procedures.

— Deaths are happening, and at a much higher rate than the flu or almost anything else (Covid remains the fourth highest cause of death in the US) — but still much lower than before vaccines.

True, tons of us are getting it.

The vaccines and prior exposure no longer stop infections.

You can be up to date in your vaccines and boosters and still get it.

You can have had Covid in April and still get it again in August.

But chances are very high it will be a nuisance and not a hospitalization.

Right now, five of my friends and family have Covid and each has a different story. Here’s Robin-Schoenthaler-the-Boston-cancer-doctor-who-writes-about-Covid Top-Ten-Things I’ve learned from their stories:

(I’m a Boston-based cancer doctor and I’ve been writing weekly fact-based-no-blame-no-rumors-all-science-all-the-time essays about Covid-19 since March 2020. If you liked this and some of my other essays below, you can support both Medium and me here.)

  1. All five of my friends/family got Covid while traveling. At least 85% of the stories I’m hearing about Covid involve travel (work and camp make up the other 15%).
  2. You can try to minimize your travel risk with masking, limiting time indoors with unmasked people (think: wedding ceremonies, restaurants, places with lots of hugging like memorial services), and just trying to not get in people’s airspace. But by its nature travel exposures you to more people and their droplets than if you are just hanging out in your basement. So make plans accordingly.
  3. The tests still work

--

--

Robin Schoenthaler, MD

Covid-Translator. Cancer doc: ~Three decades at MGH. Writer and storyteller: Moth Grand Slam Champion. Mom. www.DrRobin.org, @robinshome, robinshome2@gmail.com